Fennel doesn’t get enough love in our opinion, so we’re giving this plant lots of it on the blog this November! Fall isn’t just for cozy sweaters and pumpkin spice everything. It’s also the beginning of fennel season, and its airy yellow tops are covering the coastal bluffs near Earth Science’s southern California office.
An herb with family members like dill, caraway, cumin and anise, fennel has long been used in recipes for everything from baked sweets to marinades, soups and sauces, using both its stalks in some dishes as well as its seeds to spice up others.
Foeniculum Vulgare (Fennel) fruit extract is an ingredient in our gentle eye makeup remover and refreshing Herbal Tonic Mist. But what’s fennel fruit, you ask? The small pieces of the plant, commonly called fennel seeds, which are actually its dried fruits.
We’ve selected fennel fruit extract as one of Earth Science’s skincare ingredients because of its wonderful anti-inflammatory and anti-irritant properties. It has the ability to soothe and moisturize dry or irritated skin conditions, making it a perfect addition to these paraben-free, cruelty-free and vegan products:
- Our fragrance-free Chamomile & Green Tea Makeup Remover also features fennel fruit, bilberry and eyebright extracts. This effective herbal formula purifies and refreshes skin while removing makeup. Non-irritating, no artificial colors and no oily residue!
- Our ultra-pure Herbal Tonic Mist freshens, cools and energizes skin with fennel fruit extract as well as those of raspberry leaf, aloe vera, calendula, sea kelp, chamomile and comfrey. Special “ultra-moisturizers” such as panthenol and hyaluronic acid hydrate and improve skin’s appearance and protect it from the drying effects of the sun.
With a light anise flavor, this herb is also a tasty addition to salads and casseroles. Discover some of these fennel-filled recipes for serving at your dinner table on Thanksgiving:
- Fennel-Apple Salad with Walnuts (New York Times)
- Fennel Orange Cranberry Sauce (Food Network)
- Grilled Turkey with Toasted Fennel and Coriander and Fresh Thyme Gravy (Bon Appetit)
- Mushroom, Fennel and Parmesan Stuffing (Washington Post)
- Lacy Almond Orange Cookies (Martha Stewart)
Learn more about the extraordinary ingredients in Earth Science skin, body and hair care formulas by browsing the Ingredients Glossary.